I know I was surprised about September getting here, but really, didn’t we just start September? How is tomorrow October already? I feel like time is just whizzing by!
What I’ve been working on: I have finally, finally finished my draft of OQ2. If it seemed like that took forever, that’s because it did. But it’s finished. FINISHED. For now. I’ve sent it to my agent, editor, and a handful of critique partners, so I’m sure there will be a lot of work to do on it this fall. But for now, I don’t have to think about it, which is nice.
In the meantime, I will be working on the Black Knife novellas.
What I’ve been reading:
- EVERYTHING THAT MAKES YOU by Moriah McStay - The story is told in two different timelines, Fiona with scars, and Fi without scars. It’s fascinating, seeing how Fiona’s scars, or lack of, affects not just her life, but her personality and the people she befriends. Coming March 17, 2015
- KISS KILL VANISH by Jessica Martinez – I love Martinez’s prose. She has such a gorgeous way of writing it just draws me in. This book was no exception. About the runaway daughter of a cartel boss. Think literary thriller. Coming October 7, 2014
- THE THICKETY by J.A. White – A middle grade fantasy about a witch’s daughter, set in a village where any sort of magic — even wishing — is forbidden. So there I was reading what I thought was going to be a light, fun middle grade novel — and then it got dark. A very good read.
- THE CASTLE BEHIND THORNS by Merrie Haskell – A middle grade fantasy about a boy who wakes up in the fireplace of the Sundered Castle, where no one has set foot in decades. I loved the mystery in this one, the strength of friendship, and even the blacksmithing.
- RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard – I thought this one was straight fantasy (GoT comparison), so imagine my surprised when it turned out to be futuristic fantasy! I’m totally behind mixing genres, so I really enjoyed this book. It moves at a good pace and never lags. Coming February 10, 2015
What I’ve been yarning:
Some people I know are having babies, so I’m making tiny hats.
And I’ve been preparing and spinning some fleece. Here’s the process:
What the ferrets have been up to:
Katniss and Todd:
Other stuff you might be interested in:
I went to New York for the CBC Book Rave, but before that, I stopped in Manhattan to visit my people at HarperCollins. Here I am with Marketing Manager Alana and Editor Laurel, part of Team Queen!
And with two of my besties, authors Joy N. Hensley and C.J. Redwine. I’ve lost control of my neck/head in this picture because I’m so happy to be with them.
The 5k adds teaser for THE ORPHAN QUEEN went up this month! Next one at 6k adds. You can add the book to your “want to read” list here.