Here’s the deal: We’re making blankets for premature babies using the charity Stitches From The Heart. What we want from you is squares. Lots of squares. You can knit them, crochet them, weave them, knitting-loom them, or whatever. It just needs to be something that Priscilla or I can seam together with a bunch of other squares to make a blanket. Stitch pattern, color, and yarn are also up to you. (Though we recommend something soft, since this will be for tiny babies.)
A few guidelines:
1. Use SOFT yarn, preferably acrylic so the parents can easily wash the finished blankets. If you need a few inexpensive ideas, Caron Simply Soft, Bernat Softee Baby, Vanna White, and Lion Brand Baby Soft are great places to start.
2. Squares need to be 5”x5”. The uniform size is so we can easily stitch them together.
3. This will run from October 1, 2012 to February 1, 2013. This is to give you plenty of time to yarn up a few squares. In February, Priscilla and I will figure out where everyone needs to send their squares, and then we’ll get to sewing them into blankets.
4. There is bribery involved. The person who sends in the most squares will win a goodie bag of books and swag. I’ll even throw in a skein of my handspun yarn. This will be international, so even if you don’t live in the US, you’re invited to enter.
5. And if you don’t want to enter, you just want to send squares, that’s great, too.
6. All you need to make are squares. You can put any pattern on them you want, or you can make them simple. This is up to you, and so that even the newest of yarners can join in.
7. Fill out this form to help us keep track of your squares.